Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Story

Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to update. I keep getting asked when I am going to tell the story of the proposal- well here it is!

Josh and I had already talked about getting married. We had been planning to get engaged after he met my family over the Christmas holiday. We had talked about the possibility of maybe getting engaged before, and so I had given him my parent's phone number to "ask for permission". But I was really not expecting to get engaged before we met my family! Sunday night, we talked about the time frame of when we could get married. I mentioned that making a decision this big scared me (just a tad) which I think scared him even more! But we ended the night on a positive note and I planned on calling the Temple the next morning to see about the availability. The next afternoon, I called him to tell him the day that we were thinking of was available, and that I was planning on going to look at the reception area on my way to work that afternoon. It's right behind the stake center that's next to the Sacramento temple. When I told him this, Josh said "well let's just go together after you get done with work tonight." So after work, I met him at his house and he mentioned to me how nervous he was to call my parents. (By this I assumed that he had not called them yet). He told me that he had a Christmas present to give me that he wanted me to enjoy during this Christmas season and wanted to give it to me among the Christmas decorations at the Temple. So we drove up to the Temple, and while we were standing in front of the beautiful Nativity scene, he gave me this ornament:





Which I love! When I saw that the ornament opened, my heart skipped a beat, and I expected to see a ring inside. When I opened it, there was just some tissue paper. So I pulled it out to read the inside of the ornament. (I mean really... how sweet is that ornament!!) I love Christmas ornaments, and was so excited to get this very special one from Josh. So we stood there enjoying the beautiful scenery for a moment, then he leaned over and pulled a ring out of the tissue paper that I had just taken out of the ornament! I did not see it or feel it or anything! The he told me that he had called my dad that day, got down on one knee and proposed. I totally started to bawl! It was so beautiful and amazing and I'm pretty sure better than any moment in my life thus far! At the end of the night our faces hurt from smiling so hard!



We are so so so happy- and now I get to concentrate on finals and the end of the semester for the next two weeks! (yeah right) I have almost rear ended about 10 cars so far because I keep looking at my ring while I am driving instead of the car in front of me. If I can't even concentrate when driving, how can I be expected to study for finals! I really think teachers should give an exemption to all engaged people.

So now comes the wedding planning... someone asked me today on a scale of 1-10 how likely is it that I will be a bridezilla. I said considering the fact that I will be in my last semester of graduate school, working full time (for no pay I might add) and Josh will be in his first semester of nursing school... a 5... I don't think I am the bridezilla type, but I am the easily overwhelmed and then freakout and have a melt down type- so I guess bridezilla status has yet to be determined. Stay tuned for updates!

7 comments:

andi said...

Ahhhh, I loved reading it all over again. Just ask your crazy married friends for advice or a vent session when you start to feel overwhelmed :) It's seriously the most FUN time though.

kunkybrewster said...

If I was blinded by that giant bling, I would running into people as well. How can a girl focus on anything else??
And I completely agree, recently engaged people and people whose significant others just passed the bar should be exempt from finals.

Erin said...

I am glad you wrote your story down. I am so excited for you! and that ornamental is so pretty, something you will always keep and remember. You guys are such a cute couple.

Erin said...

oh yeah...how was glow in the dark frisbee...did any of your teeth get knocked out?

barb said...

yay! you guys are cute, and i can see you digging that ornament. i'm glad he knows you. ( i like it too, by the way). so what date did you decide on? me and andi (and possibly dave) are thinking about making the trip...

MG said...

Congratulations, G (...and J)! Man, you don't check someone's blog for awhile, and the next thing you know she's engaged.
Awesome.

Beth said...

Aw, I love the engagement story! So happy for you!! When's the big day?