Thursday, February 08, 2007

Confession Time

Do you ever feel like you are obsessed with blogs?- I am starting to think that I am....except with mine- which I could take or leave. My own blog almost feels like a ball and chain. It's always in the back of my mind "update me! update me please!" But I think I am obsessed with OTHER people's blogs. I have to be honest- I check my friends blogs every day- sometimes more than once a day. It's almost the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning. Check email then blogs. I get this little shiver of anticipation as their page loads, waiting to see if they have put a new funny story or picture up. I have even started to check people's blogs who I don't even know. I laugh at their stories, think their kids are adorable, check to see how their pregnancy is going, try their new recipes, I even show other people their pictures:

LRHG: "Check out this picture of this cute kid!" "
OTHER PERSON: "Oh cute! Are they friends of yours?"
LRHG: "Um, no I just read their blog." Then I get r.t.'s for myself.

Some blogs have even made me cry.... yes I will admit it.

When I really stop and think about it, it's kind of stalkerish. I mean, I know pretty intimate details of other people's lives whom I have never met. I have them bookmarked even. I never comment to let them know I am reading, I just silently read.

I mean, I understand the use of a blog- friends and family who are far away can see pictures of your life, hear stories etc... But isn't that what email and the phone is for? Does it need to be hanging all out there for the world to see? Like electronic dirty laundry? Don't get me wrong, I would be highly upset if all of a sudden all of the blogs I read daily were taken away. I would go through blog withrawel. I don't do drugs, I do blogs. In fact it has gotten so bad that I dream about my friends blogs. The other night, I had a dream about Bone Junior's blog. I was checking to see if there was an update. There was! I was so excited to read about her latest escapade. When I started to scroll down, I realized that I had never read any of her posts. I had to read them all! I had to catch up on 9 months worth of blogging! It was pretty much my worst nightmare. I felt totally overwhelmed. When I woke up, I actually had to check her blog to make sure it wasn't true.

I wonder if they have Blog Readers Anonymous for those of us, namely me, who need help letting go.

7 comments:

Bone Junior said...

I'm just glad you didn't have dreams about playing James Bond and hanging out at Coldstone...

Erin said...

Yay! you're back! I am so excited. I wish you would try to be more obsessed with your own blog because I am obsessed with it and check it several times a day wand there is never an update.

but if it makes you feel any better, I read people I don't know's blogs and I even take it to the next level and comment.

Did you happen to try my cousin Julia's recipe on her blog? that tasty mandarine orange salad?

g said...

no i didn't see that recipe- although i admit- she is one of the blogs i stalk- shhh!! I want her dog.

andi said...

Oh my gosh, I SOOOO feel the same way. That's why I took mine off for a little while...and then put it back up. I'm addicted. I bet there's a blog about obsessed bloggers. Hmmm, let's search for it!

Julia said...

Erin's cousin here. =) You are definately NOT alone. I admit I do the same... hence, the comment from a stranger. Although I have met you before, when I stayed with Erin a couple times in the colony.

em said...

g, i think we all feel that way! i especially connect with the "my own blog is a ball and chain" because nothing funny or exciting ever seems to happen to me (maybe i'm just oblivious to the good stories in my life, in which case, i feel very very sad for myself) but i love reading what other people post. and you're right, it's kinda creepy to think of all that e-laundry hanging out there. but then i think about all the myspacers who are definitely easier targets than the occasional bloggers like us.

g said...

so what are you saying about people on MySpace? The only reason I am semi-ok with being on MySpace is that Barbie and Bone Jr are too- but I have moments of paranoia where I am seconds away from just deleting the stupid thing. I just keep mine private. It's stupid though- really what is the point of MySpace?